Thursday, December 18, 2008

I am White.

In class we had to remember a time when were made aware of either our gender or race.

I remembered back to when I was younger and my family went with family friends to go get pumpkins for Halloween. The family is bi-racial, the mom is white and the dad is from an island near Jamaca, and he's black. The dad, Varo, had a nephew who came to stay with the family while he went to school in Madison. And the nephew came with us to the pumpkin farm.

When we got to the pumpkin farm, there were lots of families and little kids my age,which was around ten years old. The nephew, who had come from a very black populated island, made a joke that he'd never seen so many white people before. It was funny, but I never even took notice. And that was the first and only memorable time that I've had my race made aware to me by another person.

6 comments:

Marisa said...

Thats kind of funny. Coming from McFarland shows how white we truly are. Its sad how indiverse our school is.

Hannah T said...

It's really sad sometimes that we go to school where there are only like 10 black kids. I would hate to be one of them, and I can't imagine how the kid with you felt. That must have been pretty awkward.

Jenny O said...

I love that he felt comfortable enough to make a joke about it. If I were him I'm not sure I would have been able to do the same. I like this post sami, solid work :)

aleeshaKo said...

Heyyy I've heard this story before! Cute.

Nicole said...

It's so true. Since most of us grew up in McFarland our whole lives, we've only been exposed to primarily white people. Now that we're older, we're able to go other places such as Madison, and that really catches my attention as to how our school and community really is.

Ky-Ky Bebeh said...

McFarland really is rather white. And I'm fairly sure that our school board is dying to attract more diverse people to the school lol :P

In my perspective though, whenever I feel slightly out of place due to my ghost-like whiteness (*sigh*), the uneasiness usually diminishes over time because I'll eventually forget my color anyways.