Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Drops of Jupiter


For my cool writing presentation I chose the song "Drops of Jupiter" by Train.


“Drops of Jupiter” is a single off of the band Train’s second album which is titled Drops of Jupiter after the single. It was released in 2001, and went on to win the Grammy for Best Rock Song. It’s hard to categorize it into a narrow genre, because the band brings in elements of country, rock and alternative music.

My first impression of this song is that it’s about a woman who left behind either a friend or a boyfriend that she’d been close with. And the reason she’d left was because she was looking for something better in either her relationship or her life all together. And the man is asking sarcastically “Did Venus blow your mind, was it everything you wanted to find”. And it also hints that it wasn’t all that great with the lines “Did you make it to the milky way to see the lights all faded, And that heaven is overrated.”

Going along with my first impression, but it could also be taken as a separate interpretation. I think that at the end it turns optimistic and into more of a love song than having a bitter tone. Because when she came back to him, back to the “atmosphere”, near the end he says “Your best friend always sticking up for you even when I know you’re wrong”. And I think that line holds a lot of significance of being there for the girl, even if he didn’t agree with her decision.

I personally make a connection to the song because it’s talking about this girl who wants to explore and see what else is out there. And continually the images of stars are used to represent the unattainable. But unlike the girl I hope to find that there is more out there and even though my loved ones think I’m dreaming beyond what is practical, I hope they’re wrong. So for the most part I relate to the woman in this song.


Heres the link to the song on youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4xXQFnIEf_Q

No comments: