Tuesday, November 25, 2008

My Metamorphosis Reaction


The Metamorphosis by Franz Kafka was a hard book for me to get interested in and I had to force myself to read every page. I found it to be really strange and unrelatable. First of all because Gregor turned into bug and that was weird but the message about family that it sent to me wasn't at all positive. In the story it gave background on how Gregor worked hard to support his family so that they wouldn't have to work or worry about their financial troubles. But when Gregor turned into a bug and wasn't able to support his family, they mostly saw him as a burden. Because then the rest of the family had to get jobs and take care of Gregor. To me it didn't send a very supportive message, but I do realize that these weren't the most normal circumstances either. Overall I didn't really enjoy The Metamorphosis.

2 comments:

Alyssa said...

I completely understand what you mean, it was really hard for me to get interested as well.

I mean a guy turning into a bug?

Doesn't sound like a relaxing and enjoyable read to me.

Shauna L said...

I wasn't interested in this book as well. Mainly because I'm not a huge fan of bugs...so already I had a problem with the book.
However the strangness of it all amused me...just because it was bizarre...
But overall I didn't really enjoy it as well.