Thursday, November 6, 2008

President Obama


Early last year I was swept up in the momentum of the 2008 presidential election, since I had a political science class and it became part of everyday to talk about the election and recent events. I even had the opportunity to watch him give a speech at the Kohl Center, where I was a mere twenty feet away from him. And thats when I became apart of Obama Mania. I paid close attention through the primaries, and the Democratic convention, where Barack Obama became the democratic nominee.

And just last week I watched as Barack Obama became the President elect of the United States of America. It was awesome to watch as history was made, and see the celebration throughout America, CNN even feature footage of people in Kenya celebrating. Because the change that Obama is promising is not only for America, but for other counties as well. The historic significance in this election is without a doubt monumental, we have the first African-American president who not only won the electoral vote but also the popular vote. In my opinion John McCain took the loss gracefully, giving recognition to the historic significance of this election and giving thanks to his supporters.

I waited with anticipation for Obama to make his way to Grant Park in Chicago, and it was well worth the wait. His acceptance speech was thoughful and moving. And I'm so glad he won the election, because I believe he will bring the change we need.

5 comments:

Kristi said...

Couldn't agree more! I wasn't able to see him at the Kohl Center because of work but I caught some of it on TV. His speech really was amazing after her won the election! Nice job giving good grace to McCain as well. It was a good touch at the end!

Mr. Kunkle said...

"Mania" is right-- there was definitely a buzz that grew to a roar around Obama. It was cool to see; this has definitely been the most locked in I've ever seen high school students regarding an election. The key now is to keep the momentum going, to take all that energy and focus it on making our world better. I hope the energy doesn't fade away as having Obama in office becomes "old news."

As a side note, here's a funny article form The Onion about Obama's victory: http://www.theonion.com/content/news/international_con_man_barack_obama

Nicole H. said...

I totally agree. When I was watching that night I was also thinking wow...I have just experienced history in the making. I'm in AP US History right now and I was thinking about someday someone will be learning that from the book.

Alyssa O said...

yay president Obama! This was an incredible election, and I was right there w/ you watching the early debates for poli sci last year. It was very exciting watching the reactions of all the crowds when Obama won, and I agree that they both gave amazing speeches.

Lisa said...

Hey girlie! What's cracking?

As you know, I am an Obama girl as well. I was so amazed and so proud of our country for making the right decision and electing the type of person who can really bring change in our time of desperate need. I was so scared that stupid people were going to let racism get the better of them, but obviously, a lot of people took the high road. This is a huge step for our country, not only are some major changes going to start happening, but it shows that we are truly a land of equality.

GO OBAMA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!