Friday, January 16, 2009

Again I'm aware of my Race

I was born white. I've grown up in McFarland where there is hardly any diversity within the community and I think that has all helped me to become more stereotypically white.

But when I was born, my family lived in Fitchburg. The neighborhood had a bit of violence and wasn't the safest. So my family decided to move around the time I turned four. Today the neighborhood is known for crime and I feel unsafe just driving through it. The homes are barely taken care of and the cars are mostly junkers. A lot of people who in my opinion look sketchy are roaming the streets and there is a cop car on every corner.

I consistently wonder what I may have been like if I still lived there. Would I have taken on the role of a "ghetto" person. I don't know but it's something to think about if I wouldn't have the stereotypical white person personality.

No comments: